Saturday 12 January 2008

Technology

Over the past few years I have not been the last person in our house to seek out more knowledge on the technology front. We have had a home computer for many years; the internet has been a source of knowledge and an answer to many problems during that time. Desktop publishing is a necessary skill when writing newsletters, quilt software helps so much when writing instructions and the digital camera opens up a whole new world in design. I thought that I really was on top of most things until I joined a postcard exchange group.
This now has led to reading many peoples blogs and then eventually getting my own blog and therefore sharing my life and interests with many others (well at least a few).

I have never thought myself as falling behind with technology but then I didn’t know there was so much more to learn about. I received the following recently from a friend and thought it quite amusing when it could so easily apply to me.

The computer swallowed grandma.
Yes, honestly its true.
She pressed 'control' and 'enter'
And disappeared from view.
It devoured her completely! ,
The thought just makes me squirm.
She must have caught a virus
Or been eaten by a worm.
I've searched through the recycle bin
And files of every kind;
I've even used the Internet,
But nothing did I find.
In desperation, I tried google
My searches to refine.
The reply from him was negative,
Not a thing was found 'online.'
So, if inside your 'Inbox,
'My Grandma you should see,
Please 'Copy, ''Scan' and 'Paste' her
And send her back to me!

This is a tribute to all the Grannies and Grandmas who have been fearless and learnt to use the computer........ They are the greatest!!! We do not stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Get Old!

Personally I have been absolutely amazed at the wealth of talent not only in the crafts most people are interested in but in the skill in telling the tale. I sometimes sit here and laugh out loud (commonly written as – lol) at the tales that are told on some of the blogs. There are also Internet groups, of which I have joined a few, it did get a few too many so some had to go. There is of course my postcard exchange group, which started this whole thing off and the Artists Circle where I hope to get to use some of my art stuff that I have piled away in cupboards left over from City and Guilds courses. (well I have bought some since……..shhh) There are a few groups where I am just lurking (this is a term for reading the messages and looking at the photo’s and not joining in!) We are encouraged not to do this but I know many do. As you all know there is also a complete new language to learn; and I have only just mastered the art of texting!
A lot of the groups I have found are American based but my latest ‘group’ is based in the UK but attracts members from all over the world. It is called BQL (British Quilt List) and this year they are doing a bag challenge where a new bag pattern can be downloaded each month.



Here is my bag, it wasn’t difficult and I am really pleased with it. I plan to make more as I have ideas for some character fabrics that will be fun to use. It is made like a supermarket bag and can be folded into the pocket to make it neat to keep. I am really itching to see what the February bag is like.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Your bag looks great. I'm a lurker on BQL too, my bag is still in progress but I hope to have it finished sometime this week, if mine looks half as good as yours I will be very happy!

Anonymous said...

Your bag is simply beautiful, Stephanie !