Friday 18 January 2008

Dorset Buttons

Today was supposed to be a get on and get some work done day. Three hours have now disappeared and all I have done so far is paperwork, phone calls and letters. Why does this boring (necessary) stuff have to take so long and keep me away from the juicy fabric and threads stuff? It seems to go on forever some days.

I was talking about the Internet groups I belong to in an earlier post and I forgot to mention that I have recently been involved in a swap that made and exchanged Dorset Buttons. I decided to be included in this as it was a technique that was England based and I have been interested in Dorset Buttons for a while now. My local Embroiderers Guild had one of our fellow members do a demonstration for us all last year. She was extremely good at it (I will make a note here that she is a very clever lady anyway) and totally amazed us all with her wonderful ‘Art’ Dorset buttons, and I was once again inspired to do more. I had some on the go when this swap came up so thought it the ideal thing to get me involved with the group. My Buttons have now gone off to the States for the swap so I thought it the ideal chance to show you what I have sent off. All my partners in this swap are from America so it will be really good to see the different buttons, when I receive the buttons from my swap partners I will share them with you.





This one went to Alaska



This was very apt for an American and British swap

This one went to sunny California

I really liked this variegated thread

This button was done on a metal ring and thicker thread, it was also larger than the others.

I only had to send five Dorset buttons in the swap so I kept this beaded one,

And this one which I didn't think turned out so well.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Stephanie, your Dorset buttons are lovely. I bought the rings for this challenge but didn't get round to trying it. I shall have to have a go sometime. I love the variety of colours and finishes in yours. Thank you for your good wishes. I am improving each day so hopefully I will soon be back to my version of full strength :) At least I feel up to blogging again! lol

mzjohansen said...

I've never heard of these and they are fabulous! Now, I want to learn how !My favorite was the one you didn't like !

Angela said...

Your Dorset buttons are great, I would love to find out how to make them.

Jacq said...

Your Dorset buttons are wonderful. You have made such a great variety.

Gina said...

Stephanie - those Dorset buttons are exquisite. I must have missed that session at the Guild. I recently read "Burning Bright" by Tracy Chevalier and the main characters are from Dorset and there is lots of mention of them making Dorset buttons. Has made me want to have a go!

mzjohansen said...

Stephanie:
You really got me hooked on these darn little things! Thanks for sending the info!

gunnelsvensson said...

-these buttons are so cute, and so fun to do!

Fannie said...

Stephanie, your Dorset Buttons turned out FANTASTIC! Bravo! Were they easy to create?

jenclair said...

These are all gorgeous! I especially love that white one!

kraplap said...

love Dorset buttons ! I love the fully white one the most.

Helen said...

Oh wow l have found a basic pattern on dorset patterns but no books or anything in Australia :( Could you send me in the right direction maybe with some help?