Sunday 15 June 2008

Where has this week gone?

Where has this week gone to, it seems just a moment ago when I was at the Embroiderers Guild meeting with Gina and our many other friends and fellow members. But now I find that it was a week ago. Last Saturday an extremely clever and talented fellow member demonstrated how to fix shisha mirrors to fabric. I have tried to do this before and didn’t have much success, this time however with the expert tuition my shisha mirrors stayed on the fabric. That is about all the good I can say about it, as my embroidery isn’t shining as well as the mirrors as you can well see.

Gina did push me into showing this dismal excuse for hand stitching by showing hers here. So all is now revealed Gina! In my defence I will say again ‘ I don’t do hand stitching’ ; well apart from quilting, beading and buttons!

One thing I was surprised about is how pleased I can get about a magazine. Treating myself to a Craft Magazine recently (I was at Borders and I couldn’t find the book I wanted and wasn’t going to leave empty handed!) I didn’t think it would really inspire me to bigger and better things.


That was until I turned to this page, Dorset buttons are one of my favourite side lines and although Marie and Jenclair have been busy lately I have not wrapped one in ages. This is the article that has wetted my interest again so I have sorted out some threads and rings for another burst of button making. I think I’ll add a few beads as well.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Your shisha mirror stitching looks perfectly good to me Stephanie! Dorset buttons are something I would like to try... wonder if I'll be better at them than shisha?

jenclair said...

I've had shisha mirrors in my bead box for about two years now and have never even attempted to apply them to anything.

Yours look great; maybe I'll drag some out and give them a try. The magazine article looks like a good one!

Kitty said...

Tsk ... you and Gina both complain that your stitching isn't good, but it looks pretty darned good to me. I've always wanted to have a go at Shisha.

Look forward to seeing your Dorset buttons too!

Take care. x

Julie said...

Your shisha mirrors look fine! Thank you for the "heads up" on the Craft magazine, I shall have to look for it as I'd like to have a go at dorset buttons.

Finn said...

Hi Stephanie, wanted to pop over and thank you for stopping by at the Orphan Train. It's always nice to see a new face.
It has been fun to see how other gals might combine their orphan blocks and what the outcome will be. Hope you find a way to stop yours from muliplying, or better yet sew them together and join us on the train trip. Hugs, Finn