Monday 17 March 2008

Oh no, it's pink!

Pink has arrived in my life. When I was small I was a bit of a tomboy so I really didn’t like pink. I didn’t change as I grew up and after having three boys there was no reason to have pink in my life. It has even become quite a thing with my students; as they all know that I hate pink so give me the task of saying nice things about things they have stitched in pink. Don’t get me wrong; I can appreciate things made in pink and actually really like them just so I don’t have to have them in my life.

When my son blessed me with a grandchild, it was with much relief that I found I had another boy in my life. I am used to boys, they wear loads of different colours but luckily never pink. I have made lots of quilts for my young grandson and most of them are made with fabrics in bright colours that say life is fun. I rarely do pastels and if I ever do, ‘I don’t do pink’.

Well until now.


Just over a week ago we had a phone call to tell us that we had a great niece in the family. Madison Victoria has arrived in our lives so what else can you do but make this very young lady a quilt to welcome her. For some strange reason I had the need to make her a pink quilt.

One problem, no pink. No problem, I love shopping.

I thought I would find it difficult but it wasn’t. I soon returned home with a bundle of pinks in my hand and couldn’t wait to get cutting, stitching and quilting. So in no time at all I had this little project finished and on it’s way to its new owner.



She is such a beautiful baby, so petite and so deserving a pretty pink quilt. There is no other colour that would suit at her small age. I know it will not be used as a cover (safety requires that no layered item be used for bedding on small babies) but the new Mum can lay her upon it and she can be as cute as a button on her pretty pink quilt.

On to more serious things, it was the Chilford Spring Quilt Fair at the weekend and I set off with a friend to enjoy the day, look at the quilts on display and see what was new in the world of patchwork and quilting after a long cold winter.

I came home with these delicious fabrics.



What has happened to me, not only am I buying PINK I have also succumbed to gingham !!!! But won’t she look cute with a quilt in these colours.

Don’t worry though, I also bought this and some really nice fleece with dumpers, diggers and trucks on for my grandson…………..and it’s blue!!!!

4 comments:

mzjohansen said...

I've always felt the same about pink .. never wore it; always disliked it...until lately! Still can't say I love pastel pink - but I HAVE become somewhat enamored of rich pinks! Congrats on the new niece !

Digitalgran said...

I enjoyed this post so much. i'm the same with pale pink and pale blue and also love boys! two sons and 4 grandsons. I do have one lovely GD too.
i used to hate turquoise, becoause my mother always dressed me in that colour, but out of the blue. I love turquoise!

Gina said...

Very pretty pink quilt.. very girlie! Being the Mum of four boys we've never had much pink (apart from my socks!)
Gina x

Carin said...

Your pink quilt turned out so beautiful! I just know it will be loved and cherished.